Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Another day, another swarm.

I bought bee frames yesterday so I could make sure the existing hives were well supplied with room for expansion.  What happened?  Our strongest hive swarmed this morning despite my having replaced brood frames a couple of weeks ago to reduce the risk of swarming.  Probably 25-30,000 bees.
Luckily, they formed a cluster within 10 metres of the old hive (thank heavens for woody weeds) and were much easier to catch than Sunday's lot.
They're settling in.
Problem is, I have run out of boxes and frames.  That's why the full depth box in this picture has gaffer tape on it.  I was about to throw the box out because part of the wood is rotten but it has been pressed back into service and the gaps are taped up until I can get another.
Less than a month ago we only had 4 hives, now we have expanded to 8: all healthy, and 7 are very strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment